Friday, March 18, 2011

Really, Jayson? Really? ...

I like one-of-a-kind items or as close to one of a kind as I can get. If everyone in the world can buy it at IKEA or Target, I'm that much less inclined to want it. (Especially since I no longer shop at Target.)

So I like poking around antique stores and flea markets and such. I once bought a piece of art in an antique store that was covered with cobwebs and grime. My mom thought I was nuts. But I loved the image and I loved the frame and the price tag didn't faze me. To me, it was worth every cent. So I bought it and I took it home and I cleaned it up and today, it hangs over my dresser in my bedroom. Though, really, I should move it elsewhere, because I'd like to see it more than I do. When I'm in my bedroom, the room is usually dark. And my eyes are usually closed.

I can justify an expense, is my point. Pretty easily. But sometimes? I can see no earthly reason why something is priced the way it's priced, other than blatant greed on the part of the seller. Of course, an item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and perhaps Chicago is rife with suckers, but these pieces from Jayson Home & Garden left me shaking my head:


Vintage Black Canister, 4.25" x 5.25" - $48



Vintage Moroccan Pillow, 14.5" x 31.5" - $595



Goat Lamp, 23.5" - $995

4 Comments:

Blogger angelo said...

What the What?! I'm all for unique and different and I am not going to say anything disparaging about the lamp (OK, I will---it's ridiculous, even for a Harry Potter Movie set dressing) BUT, AYKMWT with the pricing?!

If you can afford to buy this and do, you should have to give equal amount spent on said item (or more) to charity because you're kooky crazy.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

THANK you! I'm glad to know it's not just me! It's not just that I'm too unhip to understand that these are the going prices for kitchen tins and goat lamps.

I heartily second your idea about donating an equal amount to charity. But taking that one step further, I'd like folks to donate double the amount to charity and leave the goat lamp at the store, so as not to reward these Jayson fools.

[ Though, as someone commented on Twitter yesterday, a three-legged goat is pretty rare. :o ) ]

6:13 AM  
Blogger angelo said...

No amount of hipness warrants these idiotic prices. As a matter of fact, it's anti-hip. Hipness is usually incubated in places where creative, starving artist types go for interesting stuff that they can ACTUALLY afford---as the trend grows it become THIS! A silly, overpriced rip-off of actual hipness. Don't get me started. Well, actually I'm already off and running. If only I had three goat legs to run with...

1:57 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hear, hear. Hipness is not a three-legged, thousand-dollar goat lamp. Though, come to think of it, I don't know what hipness actually is, as by the time it reaches my sphere, it's no longer hip. I am not plugged into hipness. But I'm good with that. I like timelessness. Classics.

Unlike all those people who started cupcake businesses. Did they not *realize* that the world would move on from cupcakes? Meanwhile, my brownies continue to be relevant.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home