Friday, July 04, 2008

Where The Hell I Have Been ...

Not that the blogosphere demands to know, with its collective cyber-hand on its collective cyber-hip, why I haven't posted for the past few days, but as someone who endeavors to have fresh content up for those who visit daily, I feel compelled to offer this explanation:

I've been working my butt off.

Sadly, my butt remains.

But this year's 4th of July bash came off without a hitch.

In fact, it was so hitch-free that late this morning, I HAD NOTHING TO DO.

Granted, I put in a 15-hour day yesterday, getting as much done as possible to make today as stress-free as possible, so it all comes out in the wash. There was a finite list of tasks to accomplish and I just happened to do the lion's share yesterday. New John IMed last night, somewhere around 9 p.m. to ask, "So, did ya get everything done?" to which I replied, when I happened to pop into my office to get another Swiffer cloth (the box of which I had set on my desk), "Still doing."

A busy day, to be sure, seeing as how it started about 7 a.m., but today was a joy. I was busy for most of the morning, but it was pleasant, puttering-busy, not "I curse the day this country declared its independence, thereby forcing me, 232 years later, to have this party" busy. It wasn't "Holy crap, when the hell am I going to have time to shower?!", it was, "Oh, I think I'll put more peppercorns in my pepper mill."

And now it is "I think I will sit on my deck with a glass of vodka lemonade." Because in writing to Doreen yesterday, confirming her arrival for today, it dawned on me that I was vodkaless. Why, you ask? Because I couldn't remember when I'd bought the vodka that was in my freezer, so I poured it out, and then I forgot to buy replacement vodka.

I forgot to buy vodka. Good God, I need to get my priorities straight.

So one of my many errands yesterday was to the liquor store where I bought a fifth of Grey Goose, which I'd never bought before. I've only ordered it in restaurants. You know you're a grown-up when you plunk down that kind of money for vodka. And did you know that Effen makes black cherry vodka? I was tempted to buy it, but I thought it might seem lushy to approach the counter with two bottles of vodka.

I'll pick up the Effen tomorrow.

Typically, I'm a straight vodka girl (as opposed to a lesbian vodka girl – badump bump!), but black cherry vodka seems worth the gamble.

Anyhoo, the day is winding down, the weather couldn't have been more perfect – upper 70s and sunny ... in CHICAGO ... in JULY – my kitchen is all squared away and all I have to do tonight is nosh on leftovers and watch one of the many Netflixes that have piled up next to my remotes.

And go to bed early.

And sleep late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home