Monday, January 30, 2006

G ...

I get the greatest uptick in the number of visits to my blog when I write about G.

Why is that? Do visitiors have some sort of alert set to let them know when I blog about him? Is it a sixth sense? Do the regular readers tell their friends about G posts and the friends visit?

I didn't see him this weekend. I had hoped to. There was talk about him celebrating my mom's birthday with all of us on Friday and meeting the family. But for a variety of reasons, that didn't pan out, which is just as well, because I started losing my voice Friday night and by the time I woke up on Saturday, I felt as though I'd be run down by a very large truck.

(An aside: I truly noticed this weekend that my DVD-buying habits are way too intense. When you're sick, you want to watch fluffiness, not "Monster's Ball" or "One-Hour Photo" or "The Hours." Even my VHS collection, dusty as it is, is similarly dour. Clearly, I need to buy more from the "mindless DVDs" tab at Amazon ...)

His mother will be visiting from Germany in a few days, which will curtail my G time over the next couple of weeks, and this weekend was logically the last time we'd be able to spend uninterrupted time together. But no: I was lying on the couch for nearly 48 hours, getting sick of canned chicken soup, strangely craving grapefruit, watching movies and DVDs of TV shows I've been meaning to see, and dozing. And all the while coughing as though I were trying to expel a lung. Ah, bronchitis.

So, my friends who check in for G updates, I haven't a G update to share. He has offered several "Poor Beths," which I appreciate (even upgrading me to the emphatic "POOR BETH" on several occasions), but he's wisely kept his distance. On Saturday, he IMed to ask if he could do anything for me. "You could bring me chicken soup," I said. "But I think I'm outside of your delivery radius."

No chicken soup. No cards. No flowers. No G.

: o )

Poor Beth.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Didn't meet the family?
Wouldn't meet the family?

"Mother" coming into town?
Hmmmm... Mother is coming into town.

You'll be seeing him less...

We might be seeing less "G" posts.

:o)

10:30 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

That would be "fewer," not "less" ...

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, it's less. Fewer is used to quantify a noun. I'm using it to quantify "seeing." Less is a grammatical particle in the English language, functioning as an adverb that modifies comparatives.

No wonder you haven't written that novel yet....

How's that voice? Try honey and tea. Or is it tea and honey?

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Less is correct. Excellent explanation, too.

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home