Saturday, October 08, 2005

Curbing My Enthusiasm ...

I don't have cable. I don't have satellite TV. Yes, I am one of the three people in the world who still watch broadcast TV exclusively. (At home, anyway. At mom's, I'm forever flipping back and forth between my favorite channels, telling myself that it's a good thing that I don't have DirecTV, because I would spend every day watching BBC America and never do an ounce of work.)

Therefore, I Netflix "Curb Your Enthusiam" as the seasons are released on DVD. This puts a crimp in my "How 'bout that time when Larry ..." exchanges with Dave, who is a rabid fan of the show, but we get around to them eventually.

So last night, I was watching disc 2 of Season 4 (this is the season in which Larry's looking to make good on Cheryl's 10-year anniversary offer and is preparing to join "The Producers" on Broadway) and after a few episodes, I turned off the TV. I'm sure I'll finish the disc, as there are little pockets of humor tucked away in each episode when you're least expecting them, but last night, I had grown weary.

Maybe it's because I watch episodes back to back to back to back to back. Maybe Dave and Jay and my other enthusiastic Curb friends love the show so much because they have a week to deLarry before the buffoonery begins again.

But last night, I was thinking, "OK, I'm kinda bored. Is it me? Every week, Larry does something stupid, Cheryl gets pissed off ..."

Of course, in true Curb style, with my luck, someday I'll run into Larry David with my movie script in my hand and he'll say, "Gosh, I'd really like to help you get that made. But you wrote that post about my show, and you said you were bored," and my life will become an episode of the show I'm writing about here.

How "Seinfeld" of me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tish Grier said...

Hi Beth...

oh, I definitely see the logic of the two-year rule. The first year of a relationship is the honeymoon--you can't get enough of each other and you think the sex is perfect and will never change. By year two, reality sets in, sex diminishes, and you begin to see the things you might, over the 50 year haul, absolutely detest about the other person.

So, if you can get thru the second year of diminished sex and deal with the things about the other person that you find gross/disgusting/immature/horrifying, then you could be ready to get married.

Otherwise keep waiting. Marriage can be as cheap and easy as a quicky in the Chapel O'Love in Las Vegas, but divorces can be more costly and painful than cancer treatment. Better to be safe than sorry.

Tish G.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home